Your commitment is straightforward. We want you to be focused on academic success and actively work with our career services team to start your career.
Your commitment to complete the program includes:
- Achieve cumulative 3.0 GPA or better at graduation
- Actively pursue employment with career services and be employment-eligible per Westwood's accrediting standards. Successfully complete the following:
- work with career services to perfect your resume prior to graduation
- complete your portfolio prior to graduation (design and gaming students only)
- participate in our mock interview process prior to graduation
- professionally participate in scheduled interviews
- consistently and actively engage with career services until employment
We stand behind our education and we'll support you on your path to success.
- Westwood Career Success Plan
- Our career services team will work with you to perfect your resume and your interviewing skills, and connect you with employers who are hiring in your field.
- If you do not find employment within six months of graduation, we'll stand by you and help pay your bills for up to six months or when you become employed, whichever comes first.
- $500 per month for up to six months (bachelor's degrees)
- $250 per month for up to six months (diploma and associate degrees)
- The Employment Pledge program is available to new students starting at Westwood College, beginning May 2011 term for CA and IL students and August 2011 term for CO, GA, TX, VA and online students.
- To participate, the student must sign the Employment Pledge commitment document during the first meeting with their career services representative prior to the end of the term.
- Employment is defined as employed in-field or related field. Employment in field shows that the graduate's primary job duties closely match the core skills taught in his/her program of study. Employed in related field shows that the graduate is performing the tasks taught in his/her program of study some, but not most of the time. Related duties must be a regular part of the job and should not be a one-time event.
- Students must be continuously enrolled (unless approved for a leave of absence).
- To receive the monthly payment, eligible graduates must make a formal request to the campus career services director.
- Eligible graduates must check in weekly in person or via phone with career services beginning upon graduation.
- Refusal of a qualifying job offer or interview may impact eligibility.
- Eligibility for monthly payments ends in the month in which a student becomes employed in field or related field, or after six months of receiving payments. Student is required to inform Westwood immediately upon obtaining employment.
- Any payments made to eligible graduates under the "Employment Pledge" in any calendar year will be treated as taxable income to the graduate in that calendar year that the payment was received. Westwood College will report the payment to each recipient and to the IRS via a Form 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income (such forms will be mailed out no later than January 31st following the calendar year in which the payment was received). Any questions regarding tax impact on the recipient should be referred to the recipient's tax preparer/advisor.
- If a student wishes to dispute eligibility, he/she needs to use the Student Resolution Process detailed in the Westwood College catalog.
- Any student who violates the student code of conduct is not eligible.
The Employment Pledge program is available to new students starting at Westwood College.